The Zayna scarves are made from luxuriously soft wool and the scarf borders are hand embroidered in fine needle work.
- Hand embroidered in Kashmir
- Premium Pure Wool
- Dimensions: 27" x 82"
- Weight: 110g
Les écharpes Zayna sont fabriquées à partir de laine luxueusement douce et les bordures des écharpes sont brodées lors de travaux à l'aiguille fine.
- Brodé à la main au Cachemire
- Les dimensions: 27" x 82"
- Poids: 110g
Visit us at: www.nisbashawls.com
Unsure if the shawl you are looking is authentic/ hand-embroidered from Kashmir? Caveat emptor, i.e. let the buyer beware, applies just as equally when purchasing hand-embroidered shawls.
We suggest that before you part with your hard-earned money, ask the seller for pictures of the back of the shawl and use some of the tips noted below to make an informed purchase. Happy Shopping!
1) There are primarily two styles of embroidery in Kashmir (i) Chain Stitch (Aari) & (ii) Needle work (Sozni).
2) (i) Chain-stitch patterns are often bolder and floral - The back of the hand-embroidered pieces will look uneven and often have visible threads (see some of our listings for sample pictures). In contrast, machine made ones tend to (a) have a flat face embroidery with a bit of a shine & (b) have an even/clean embroidery pattern in the back. Machine-made chain-stitch shawls are unfortunately more common than the original hand-embroidered ones.
3) (ii) Needle work embroidery is finer, and paisley motifs are common. The back of the hand-embroidered pieces will clearly look uneven and the pattern will not be discernible (see some of our listings for sample pictures). In contrast, the machine made ones look almost picture perfect, both from the front and the back.
4) Traditional art should offer both beauty and utility. If the embroidery is not authentic, then the wool used for the scarf comes into question, with an increased likelihood of mixed fibres (sometimes with as low as 20% wool).
5) Shawls made in Kashmir are not the same as ones made of Cashmere wool, which is much more expensive and should have more intricate and finer embroidery. Quality cashmere wool scarves with just an inch of embroidery at the border often start at more than $500, and one with all-over embroidery is hard to find below $1,000. Pashmina, the traditional name of Cashmere, is so misused now that it can literally mean anything, even 0% wool!
6) Vintage/Antique embroidered shawls are hard to come by as most people don't part with theirs.
7) Stated raison d'être to help artisans should be taken with a grain of salt.
1-2 business days
Buyers are responsible for any customs and import taxes that may apply. I'm not responsible for delays due to customs.
Just contact me within: 5 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 14 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Buyers are responsible for return shipping costs. If the item is not returned in its original condition, the buyer is responsible for any loss in value.